Podcast promotion is a hot topic these days… but do you see it as a form of content marketing?
Everybody (naturally) wants more eyes on their show’s cool cover art and more ears listening to their show. But I have to give you the hard truth about podcast promotion. There’s no silver bullet. There probably never will be. Like anything else in life that’s worth doing, you have to dedicate yourself to learning how to do it well.
- You don’t get returns without investment.
- You don’t get crops without planting seeds and cultivating them.
- You don’t get bulging muscles without some kind of exercise routine.
And you don’t get huge download numbers without some kind of dedicated, well-planned promotion of your show.
This episode is a deep-dive into content marketing for podcast promotion.
Here’s a rough outline of Podcast Promotion as Content Marketing…
- [1:30] We all need to know how to promote our podcasts well.
- [2:36] Why podcast promotion is closely related to content marketing.
- [4:00] The 3 main goals most podcasters have – and why they matter.
- [6:22] The benefits of viewing your podcast as content marketing.
- [10:34] Understand: content marketing takes a while to work well.
- [16:30] Why I recommend written show note summaries rather than transcripts.
- [20:55] The power of truly great content: and how “lazy” has no place.
- [26:40] The power of offsite content marketing.
- [36:50] The key parts of an effective, well-planned content marketing strategy.
- [41:08] What we know from the history of promoting online resources.
My assumption is this:
Your podcast is content – great content.
Therefore the principles and best-practices that have been learned in the content marketing realm apply to the promotion of your podcast. In this episode I give you the full-scoop as I understand it right now (Sept. 2017) and will continue to do so on future episodes. This stuff is important – and it changes all the time. But one fact remains constant, no matter what changes…
resources we talked about in this episode
- Dave Jackson
- Show notes that work (episode that tells you everything you need to do)
- Episode 20 – Why you need good show notes
- Episode 21 – Step one to epic show notes
- Episode 22 – Step two to epic show notes
- BOOK: Mastery
- PODCAST: Thinking In Public
- Episode 23 – Creating social media elements FROM your podcast show notes
- Thinking In Public – a show I love
- Episode 59 – How to get influencers to be guests on your show
- Neil Patel article about backlinking strategy
Connect with me…